[b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Sat Dec 20 02:26:13 EST 2008

Hi Jason!

I'd disagree with Rolf, and say that most Daniel scholars would be of the opinion that Antiochus IV is certainly the focus of the visionary sections of the book. There is ample support for this view. However, I'd be interested in reading Rolf's view when it is published. I'm not going to dismiss his view out of hand (viz. that Antiochus IV is not the focus), but I daresay he faces an uphill battle.

I've got an article on the 'seventy weeks' which I'm hoping to put the finishing touches on in the next few weeks. It will be published online by JHS very soon. In short, it argues that there are some unwarranted assumptions in the way we view and calculate the 'seventy weeks', and offers a new configuration of the 'seventy weeks' which works with the narrative cues of the book itself and lands smack bang at the time of Antiochus IV.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100