[b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Dec 18 16:39:10 EST 2008

Dear Jason,

Three sources that you may want to study are: G.
L. Archer jr. "Jerome's Commentary on Daniel"
(1977). Grand Rapids: Baker Book House; J.
Braverman (1978) "Jerome's Commentary on Daniel A
study of comparative Jewish and Christian
interpretations of the Hebrew Bible" The Catholic
Biblical Quarterly Monograph Series 7; and O.
Mörkholm (1966). "Antiochus IV of Syria".
Köbenhaven: Gyldendalske Boghandel Nordisk forlag
AS.

I am writing a book on the dating of the book of
Daniel from a philological, linguistic, and
historical point of view. Sad to say, regarding
the book of Daniel and Antiochus IV, there is an
overwhelming amount of traditional viewpoints
that are presented as facts, and which are
repeated over and over again without having any
real foundation. Mörkholm shows that much of the
history of Antiochus IV and his character is
unknown. In many commentaries what the old
sources say about Antiochus IV are manipulated to
fit their interpretations of the text of Daniel.

A detailed study of Daniel 9:24-27 shows that the
abomination of desolation was not set up by
Antiochus IV in 167, but was set up in the first
century C.E., as Medieval Jewish writers and the
New Testament say. A detailed study of Daniel,
chapter 11 and a new translation of the chapter
has led me to conclude that contrary to the
universal opinion, Antiochus IV is not mentioned
at all in this chapter or elsewhere in the book
of Daniel.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli PH.D
University of Oslo