[b-hebrew] GD

Guy Zed atdgz at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:57:18 EST 2008

Karl,

Thanks for the analysis.

Overall-- are you aware of any other mentions of the 1. Name "GAD" in the semitic environment out of the Bible during the same period?

See also embedded comments below...:

> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:15:20 -0800
> From: kwrandolph at gmail.com
> To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GD
>
> Guy:
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Guy Zed <atdgz at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Can anyone enlighten it as to the different connotations of GD in the
> > bible.
> >
> > In Jacob's blessing (Genesis 49:19) it is said, "Gad a troop shall tramp
> > upon him, but he shall triumph at last." whereby the root GD is manipulated
> > several times to mean, once "tramp" (ygdnu) and once as triumph (ygd), or so
> > I understand.
> >
> > Can anyone elaborate on the two verb used in a play on the name Gad? What
> > were they, how were they used and/or how common they are in ancient Hebrew
> > or related languages?
> >
> > Gad (what else...)
> >
> > You need to sign your full name, as per the moderators.
>
> This is a difficult verse, and I am not going to make it any easier. Jacob
> is making a play on words that can be taken in more than one way.
>
> GD GDWD YGWDNW WHW) YGD (QB
>
> The first GD is his name.
>
> GDWD from the idea of cutting out, used of a clump of earth that has been
> cut out during plowing or digging,

Is that related to GD( ,   as in the cutting down of a tree? Or which root is it related to? Presence also in related languages? Or the GDD mentioned by you below?

also of a squad of soldiers cut out from
> the main army, or a group of people
>
> YGWDNW is a verb found only in Habakkuk 3:16 and possibly Psalm 94:21,
> meaning is questionable, seems to mean to despoil.
>
> YGD could come from GDD to cut out, GWD to despoil or NGD to set before,
> i.e. to tell. Which one do you think fits the context?
>
> (QB crooked (used of dealing crookedly with someone, i.e. not honestly),
> crooked place, heel of a foot (place of the foot permenantly crooked).
>
> So which one do you think fits the context? That he cuts out a crooked
> place, despoils a crooked place or reports crookedly?
>
> So the reading of the verse: Gad, a squad will despoil him, and he will
> dispoil a crooked place. ??

It appears that the verse was stated rather poetically and metaphorically, and it could 'simply' be that the 'double-entendre'-- dual meaning, not just the play on sound similarity, was intended as in, e.g., Gad is to be separated from the rest by a squad (namely, from the rest of the tribes/nation etc.), but he will despoil, or spoil the crooked scheme... Or, would be able to tell the scheme [and avoid it], etc.

My remaining curiosity, as mentioned above, is related verbs & names in related languages and culturs of the time...

Gad Za"k