[b-hebrew] Hebrew on Ubuntu

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:56:39 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:16 PM, K Randolph wrote:
> B-Hebrew friends:
>
> As you all know, I am a long time Mac user, which for the most part just
> works. As long as I stick to unpointed Hebrew (my usual mode), I have no
> problem.
>
> However, I recently got an Acer Aspire One mini-laptop running Ubuntu. It´s
> great to have a tiny computer that is full functioned yet fits under my arm
> in a bag under my jacket about the same size and shape as a concealed
> weapon, where I can be active yet forget that it´s there. I installed a
> package that allows input for CJK languages, which works, but when I tried
> to install a package to input Hebrew, it doesn´t work. It doesn´t even show
> up. Any clues what to do?

I don't have any problem with Hebrew input on Ubuntu, which I use at work.
1) I added to the panel the "Keyboard indicator."  This shows Isr when I input
Hebrew, and "USA" when I input English.
2) When I right click the "USA"/"Isr", I can choose "Keyboard Preferences."
In this dialog, under the "Layouts" tab, I can choose Add.
>From the Layouts, I can choose "Israel".  There is even a "Biblical Hebrew"
variant which seems to allow for vocalization and maybe some cantillation,
and a "Phonetic" one.  There's also a separate "Default" one that is the usual
Hebrew input keyboard.
3) In the same tab, there is a "Layout options" button that opens up a menu
dialog.  Under "Layout switching" you can choose key sequences that switch
between layouts.

Yitzhak Sapir