[b-hebrew] GD

Guy Zed atdgz at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:28:27 EST 2008

Can anyone enlighten it as to the different connotations of GD in the bible.

I am aware of the connotation of "luck" or "Fortune", used, I believe, only once in the Bible.

However,  In Jacob's blessing (Genesis 49:19) it is said, "Gad a troop shall tramp upon him, but he shall triumph at last." whereby the root GD is manipulated several times to mean, once "tramp" (ygdnu) and once as triumph (ygd), or so I understand.

Can anyone elaborate on the two verb used in a play on the name Gad? What were they, how were they used and/or how common they are in ancient Hebrew or related languages?

Gad (what else...)