[b-hebrew] Root of words is the original meaning?

hisnibbs at ntlworld.com hisnibbs at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 15 09:01:56 EST 2008

Hello Jason,

---- Jason Hare <jaihare at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that words (in this case, roots) can have meaning
> apart from their use in a language?

No, I'm suggesting that a word originally meant one thing, but was later used in different contexts to mean other things.

"root" implies to me that this came first, the applications came later.

What is your understandings of "root words"?

> don't bother yourself with the meaning of "yome" (eek),
> since it cannot mean anything to you apart from what Strong tells you
> and what answers you get on this forum.

The context in which it is used gives meaning.
Perhaps you can share what the word means to you in the context of Genesis 1?