[b-hebrew] Need Help With Trope Identification

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:20:12 EST 2008

Dear John,

After reviewing again the other pages posted, I think now the author
distinguished the following:
1) pausal marks - sof pasuq, etnax, zaqef qaton
2) sidenote marks - the circle above various words which tell you to look at
the margin
3) stress marks - used in general to indicate the primary stress of a word,
using a meteg in the final word of a verse and a merkha elsewhere
4) secondary stress - a meteg used in addition to the merkha to indicate
secondary stress
5) other accent marks - in some few verses, probably only those that are
direct quotes from the Bible, the author may have used additional accent
marks such as munax or +ipxa, since these were in the original Tiberian
vocalization of the Biblical verse.

The Hebrew reads like broken Hebrew.  This gives a very strong feeling that
the author translated the text into Hebrew.  I would use a merkha for the
accent mark you have there, especially at the CCAT symbol is very similar --
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/parallel/00.ReadMe.txt

In my review of versions online of Hebrew Matthew, it seems that the version
claimed to be independent of the Greek Matthew is the Shem Tov text.  See
Tabor's article here:
http://www.religiousstudies.uncc.edu/JDTABOR/shemtovweb.html
And also here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZXIV2WOTVvMC&pg=PA729