[b-hebrew] Need Help With Trope Identification

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Mon Dec 15 06:42:35 EST 2008

My goal is to transcribe the text as it is written. So for me to use the
meteg/silluq glyph for both the meteg/silluq and this mystery mark then
the distinction which the writer made would be lost - something that
goes against my transcription philosophy.

So the only options I see are the following:
1: Figure out what trope this mystery glyph is supposed to be and use
the traditional glyph for that mark
2: Treat this as a new glyph, and just make a new chevron in my
font/encoding scheme for this glyph.

I'm wondering is possible the writer  is using this glyph for the mahpak?

On a different note, that everyone seems to be talking about:
According to many, this Hebrew text of Matthew (and other Hebrew texts
of Matthew) isn't a translation from the Greek into Hebrew, but rather
is preservation (how preserved it is ... well that's a BIG debate) of
the actual Hebrew text that the Greek Matthew was translated from.
But whether this text is a continuation of the original Hebrew text, or
a transation from a Greek text, or even a hybrid of the two has no
affect on my question: What in the world is that glyph supposed to be?

B"H
John Steven

"He who makes a mistake is still our friend; he who adds to or shortens
a melody is still our friend; but he who violates a rhythm unawares can
no longer be our friend."
-Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim 767-850 CE.

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you
behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"The difference between the intelligent man and the simpleton is not the
correctness of their decisions, but rather the cunning sinner can more
skillfully defend and justify his iniquity."
- Rabbi Tovia Singer