[b-hebrew] "Rope Imagery" in Biblical Hebrew

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Dec 13 18:00:51 EST 2008

Jim,

(TR of proverbs 27:6 is possibly 'superfluous, excessive'.
YTR is also 'extensive, extended' and is a variant of Y$R 'linear,
expanded, spread out' (from which is MI$OR, 'plane') as is YETER
'cord, chord'.
XBL is also a variant of GBL, 'accumulate, enclose', and hence GBUL,
'border'.
It is a fundamental (alas a very common) mistake to look for
"horizontal" relationships among different Hebrew words derived from
the same root, say, XEBEL, 'region', XEBEL, 'rope', XEBEL,
'upheaval', XEBEL, 'expropriation', TAXBULAH, 'devise'. A region is
certainly not something "roped in".

Isaac Fried, Boston University