[b-hebrew] Recommended Dictionary

James Spinti JSpinti at Eisenbrauns.com
Thu Dec 11 10:06:34 EST 2008

Mary,

There are lots and lots of Hebrew first year grammars out there, and all
of them have advantages and disadvantages. Here are some favorites, in
no particular order:

1. Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Grammar	Pratico & van Pelt
Zondervan
	Zondervan has a series of other titles to complement this,
including flashcards (the flashcards are keyed to Pratico, Futato, Seow,
and Ross, so you could use them for any of the first 4 here)

2. Beginning Biblical Hebrew	Futato	Eisenbrauns
	Answers to the exercises are in the back of the book

3. A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew	Seow	Abingdon
	There is an annotated key available for this one

4. Introducing Biblical Hebrew	Ross	Baker

5. Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar	Kelley	Eerdmans

I would suggest avoiding Weingreen (too old), Lambdin (too expensive).

All 5 of them are suitable for self-study, provided you are motivated :)

Hope that helps,
James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division