[b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question

James Spinti JSpinti at Eisenbrauns.com
Wed Dec 10 13:15:23 EST 2008

Dave,

It does include all the words, but it lists them by root, a la BDB. It
is getting a bit dated now, though. It was intended to be primarily an
exegetical tool, but they purposely included all the words in the HB so
it could be used for reading (see the preface).

Holladay is an excellent choice for a reading lexicon, but for serious
study you can't beat HALOT (Brill, therefore expensive). BDB is getting
quite old, but still valuable. Get the Hendrickson one, not the Oxford
one. They are the same, except the Hendrickson one has Strong's numbers
and is a whole lot cheaper. Personally, I don't like Strong's numbers,
but the price makes the difference.

Also a good choice for a Hebrew reading Bible is the Zondervan "Reader's
Hebrew Bible" which I reviewed on my blog quite some time ago:
http://tinyurl.com/265hnu

There are other lexicons/dictionaries out there, of varying value, but
the three main (English) ones are Holladay, BDB, and HALOT.

Hope that helps,
James

James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division