[b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question

Mary Thompson maryethomp2005 at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 08:40:40 EST 2008

Hello Everyone -

I'm very new on this list-serve and new also to trying to understand
the Tanakh in Hebrew.

I have two questions:

1) What dictionary or other reference books would you recommend to
me?  Currently I'm using the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh, but the only
dictionary I have is the one included in my Strong's Concordance,
which is an older edition from 1983.  I'd be willing to get a updated
dictionary if you could recommend one that was more complete or
accurate.  Is there a grammar primer you'd recommend as well?

2) Also, I've noticed in the Tanakh that often before a word there is
a prefix joined by a 'dash' (for lack of a better term).  For
example, at Exodus 12:27 the word for Israelites in the Hebrew is BNY-
Y$R'L.  This prefix is listed in Strong's as related to 'to build'.
The English says "...the houses of the Israelites..."  so am I right
in understanding that the prefix sets up the possessive?

Another example, one that I have not been able to find in Strong's,
is `DT-Y$R'L at Exodus 12:6.  This is given in English as "...the
assembled congregation of the Israelites..." but the prefix isn't
listed in my book.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Mary.

Mary Thompson
maryethomp2005 at mac.com

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn
how to do it."
  -- Pablo Picasso