[b-hebrew] Three again...

Kayko D Hesslein kaykodh at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:30:46 EST 2008

Hi, everyone, thanks for your responses, I've checked out your recommendations, but I think I probably should have been more specific in my question.

I'm
familiar with looking at the issue from the biological angle (the
finger in your eye theory), but my question was more of a
literary/textual one, or maybe even a legal one. I'm wondering if the age of three has any
significance, or if it is referred to elsewhere in the Talmud outside of
the sex/marriage/dowry issue. I'm wondering if it is an issue of legal
status - perhaps girls before three weren't considered legal entities,
but afterwards they are, but that's only a speculation. I'm wondering
what is it about three - is there something special about the word
itself? Does three have a special meaning? Is there anything about
owning property for three years? That kind of thing.

Anyway, thanks again for your kind responses to someone brand new to the list.

Susannah Hesslein
Berkeley, CA
PhD Student