[b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

Yodan yodan at yodanco.com
Wed Dec 3 21:37:09 EST 2008

This is mine understanding too as being the primary use of a meteg in
general, and is what is generally believed.

An extension of this is to "raise the voice" (hence the name Ga'ya form
Lig'ot), so that the syllable is not pronounced hastily or glossed over.

However, there is a view that when a Shva appears after a meteg, such Shva
is (usually?) a Shva Na, and I was curious if people on this list are
familiar with this view and, if so, does anyone know if the Masoretes write
about this use explicitly or was it a later view, and - if the latter - was
it a view initiated by medieval grammarians.

My interest here is not in how people today view a meteg (and whether they
consider a following Shva as Na or NaH), but the historical perspective.

Thanks to those who are (or will) discuss this on this list, and thanks to
those who provided me with references.

Rivka