[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:2 different letter division idea

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:58:54 EST 2008

Kenneth:
Literally, "and he rose up like a sucker…" This is a horticultural term
referring to a growth from the root of a tree, i.e. the start of a new
trunk, that is almost always not wanted as it detracts from the fruit
bearing and strength of the main trunk. As a result, farmers watch out for
them and cut them off as soon as they are spotted.

Makes perfect sense as written.

"And he rose up like a sucker before him, and as a root from dry ground he
had no form nor grandeur, we saw him and he had no looks that we should
covet him ("covet" = to desire a particular individual or thing, not a
generalized desire)." Translate from poetry to prose: his presence was
unwanted, and his looks were nothing special.

This is in the context of God's "slave" introduced in Isaiah 52:13, giving a
picture of how he is rejected, much in the same way as the stone which the
builders rejected became the corner stone (Psalm 118).

Karl W. Randolph.