[b-hebrew] Linguistic, historical, cultural origins of yahweh

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 12:55:03 EST 2008

  In addition to the useful titles listed by George below, let me
 add: "The Rise of Yahwism" by Johannes De Moor  (2nd ed.).
 He follows an independent path and, in my view,
 this work is indispensable to any serious study of the subject.

  Uri Hurwitz                                              Great Neck, NY

The emergence of Yahweh as a deity is generally associated with
 southern localities, such as Edom, Midian, and Teyman, all of which
 are in southern Jordan and northern Saudi Arabia. This might be what
 is preserved in texts which talk about Yahweh coming from the south.
 And, as Yigal has already mentioned, Yahweh came to be the patron
 deity of both Israel and Judah.

Some good resources to consult on this issue include the books by
 Mark Smith: "The Early History of God" and "Memoirs of God".
You could also try Richard Hess' work, "Israelite Religions",
 and even the older title edited by Diana Edelman, "Triumph of Elohim".

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS