[b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

AMK Judaica amkjudaica at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:17:55 EST 2008

hi rivka,

i think it's pretty clear that the meteg does not serve to indicate a sheva na (although, as you note, it is often followed by one).

consider, for example, all the examples of meteg followed by the letter heh with a sheva (as in words of the root HYH). if the meteg here were to indicate a sheva na, then the vocalization would have to be a hataf, as guttorals can't have a sheva na.

in general i find the whole meteg issue very confusing and it is on my list of things i would really like to read more about and understand better. as for modern sources, you should probably start with the series of thorough articles by r. mordechai breuer in the journal leshonenu (also see he taamei ha-mikra book) and yeivin's book on the vocalization of the aleppo codex.

kol tuv,
ari kinsberg