[b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Thu Aug 21 11:30:48 EDT 2008

Dear Jim,

You are stretching it beyond belief that Sarah was adopted. It is total
speculation that drives you to claim that Sarah was adopted in order to support
your theory. It clearly states that Sarah was Abraham's sister through his
father not his mother in Genesis 20:12. This was the SAME STORY given to
Pharaoh. He did it TWICE. "Methinks that thou protesteth too much."

Furthermore, you have ignored clear evidence of Genesis 20 before Abimelech and
from Isaac doing the same with Rebekkah with another Abimelech later in Genesis
26:7-16 specifically vss. 7-11. "Like father, like son." All of these passages
in Genesis do NOT show Abraham or Isaac in really good light. They lied. They
tried to deceive. It was not one of their most glorious episodes of their lives.
That is what the text indicates without needing to play semantics or eisegesis
to prove one's theory.
In all three instances Pharaoh and both Abimelechs (although it could be he same
Abimelech which just makes worse since he has been fooled twice) were made fools
of by the lying of Abraham and Isaac. Sarah and Rebekkah did not object to this
duplicity. Rebekkah's duplicity gets even worse when she uses Jacob to obtain
the blessing from Isaac. Isaac, knowing of the prophecy regarding Esau and
Jacob, still wanted to give it to Esau, but Rebekkah, like her brother Laban,
used Jacob to deceive her husband Isaac. It must run in the family. Of course,
Jacob received the error of his ways when he himself was deceived on his wedding
night! O' to be a fly on the tent wall that next morning.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III