[b-hebrew] elephants or ivory ?

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Aug 21 05:49:47 EDT 2008

> If I remember correctly, ivory was also obtained from
> hippopotamus teeth.

James, I honestly didn't think you were that old!

I have a vague recollection of reading many years ago that once upon a time there was a Syrian variety of elephant, distinct from both the Indian and African variety. It was, however, eventually hunted to extinction. I don't remember the evidence on which this statement was based, but I suspect it probably goes in the same category as the bears and lions which apparently once inhabited the Jordan Rift Valley.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100