[b-hebrew] elephants or ivory

Yaakov Stein yaakov_s at rad.com
Wed Aug 20 13:43:52 EDT 2008

Karl,

> Ivory comes from several sources, including walrus and narwhale tusks, hippopotamus, elephants,
> and some of the best from digging up mammoth skeletons in Siberia.

Yes, but the last one is mostly in modern time, especially since global warming has kicked in.

> I suspect that tusks are meant here, the most common raw material for ivory carvers.

Definitely a strong possibility.

But that leaves open the original question as to the sentence structure.

I know that you don't even rely on the masoretic vocalization, let alone the cantillation,
but even the use of the conjuntive vav specifically groups the shenhavim with the animals
and not with the expensive raw materials.

Yaakov (J) Stein