[b-hebrew] honor and shame in Bible

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Tue Aug 19 14:32:37 EDT 2008

Dear Kenneth,

I have not done a thorough study of this topic, but I think that the major theme
of God's honor/glory would pertain to this. Thus, any person/nation that through
their action, thought or word that brings "dishonor or ill-repute = blasphemy"
toward or upon God. It would seem that the first four commandments (not an
exhaustive list mind you) deal with this issue. I also have the thought that the
idea of "repentance" especially in the OT where one "repented in dust and ashes"
symbolizes the extreme nature of the grief and shame one exhibits about one's
sin. Therefore the Great Commandment of Deuteronomy 6:5 would particularly apply
here for any thing less than that commitment to God IS IDOLATRY. In fact, I
would go so far to say that any person, place or thing placed above God, then
God will destroy it. This includes synagogue, church, family, work, friends,
etc.

Examples would be Abraham's rebuke regarding Sarah (twice), Isaac's rebuke
regarding Rebekkah, Joeseph's brothers, David's sin with Bathsheba (adultery;
and subsequent confession in Psalm 51), Moses and Aaron striking the rock
instead of speaking to it, Aaron and Miriam complaining about Moses marrying an
Ethiopian (Black) women, Jehoichin cutting up the Word of the LORD in Jeremiah
(bringing a curse down upon his head and descendants), Ahab before Elijah (after
he Naboth incident), Manasseh repenting after his capture and imprisonment, and
the examples of stealing, etc. found in Malachi. The OT has scores of examples.

The NT in the Gospels speaks of Jesus severely condemning the scribes and
Pharisees for their "false piety" (Matthew 23), the "repentance and suicide of
Judas (Matthew 27), the Pharisee and the Publican (Luke 18), Peter in response
to his 3-fold denial and re-instatement in John 21. There is the condemnation of
the Corinthians in I Corinthians over cliques, divisions, immorality, lack of
discernment (taking a believer to secular court), abuse of the Lord's Table or
communion, abuse of the gifts of spirituality (cf also II Corinthians 7 and the
interplay between METAMELOMAI AND METANOEW). Again, their are other examples in
the NT.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III