[b-hebrew] Was Pharaoh "Touched" or "Plagued" by God at Genesis 12:17?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Aug 19 11:28:48 EDT 2008

Actually, Jim, you're ignoring the context. In Gen. 32:26 (not 25 in my
Bible), the angel "vayyiga' " Jacob leg, in the qal, meaning simply "to
touch". In Gen. 12:17, God "vaynaga' ", in the pi'el (I think), usually
connoting a stronger action than in the qal. And then, the verse continues
to state what God "touched" Pharaoh "and his house" with - "nega'im
gedolim". So you have to look at the noun "Nega'". The most common usage of
this word in the Bible by far specifically refers to leprosy. In other cases
it clearly refers to some disease. It does not appear elsewhere in Genesis,
but it Exodus 11:1 it also refers to something that God is about to bring
down on Pharaoh and on Egypt - we soon find out that it refers to the death
of the Egyptian firstborn.

So in my analysis, a "nega'" is (usually) a divinely-incurred disease,
brought upon a specific person or persons in order to punish them or to warn
them (remember, this is how leprosy was viewed as well, which is why it was
"cured" by a priest and not by a doctor).

The word "nega'" is never paralleled by "magephah", which has a meaning
closer to the English "plague", in that it kills indiscriminately.

An intersting insight, Jim, thank you.

Yigal Levin