[b-hebrew] WTHYNW in Deut 1:41

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 15:46:03 EDT 2008

Yaakov:

I read THYNW as a variant of THYYNW, as a second person plural construct
from HYH. While this is not attested to elsewhere in Tanakh, it fits the
context.

> HALOT on root HWN, writes:
> Arb hwn - to be light, IV with /nafsa/ to take one's life in one's own
> hands.
> hif. imp. wthynw: to regard as eassy, elliptical expression - to risk.  Dt
> 1:41,
> (Singer, Journal of the Palestine Oriental Society 21:160f); cf Job 30:24
> for
> lhn read *lhɔhin > *lɔhin.
>
> Yitzhak Sapir

There is no verbal root HWN nor HYN that has survived in Tanakh. As nouns,
HWN refers to resources or as an expression "enough already!", HYN a liquid
measure.

Karl W. Randolph.