[b-hebrew] WTHYNW in Deut 1:41

Yaakov Stein yaakov_s at rad.com
Mon Aug 11 02:10:22 EDT 2008

The word WTHYNW is unusual.
>From grammatical considerations the N is part of the root.
Two lines later, a similar expression has the more understandable WTZDW.

The Onkelos Aramaic translation sidesteps the issue
(and interestingly translates the second expression in a completely different way).
Rashi explains that this is a verb form of HNNW = "here we are"
and most of the other classical commentaries go along.
Another says that there is another option - HYN, but does not elaborate.

I was wondering if anyone has alternative ideas about this.

Yaakov (J) Stein