[b-hebrew] Gen 1:24 - holem waw

Charles Grebe cgrebe at briercrest.ca
Wed Oct 31 11:26:12 EDT 2007

Very interesting. Thanks for the Gesenius link as well. I didn't know it
was available online.

It looks like there are a few other similar frozen forms. From Gesenius
we have:

"beast of the forest" Ps 50:10; 104:20
"beast of the field" Isa 56:9; Ps 104:11
"beast of the nations" Zeph 2:14
as well as
"beast of the earth" Gen 1:24; Ps 79:2

Do we have a sense of when these case endings would have been in active
use in Hebrew? Or would they only have been in use in languages that
later developed into Hebrew?

Charles Grebe
Briercrest Distance Learning
Saskatchewan, Canada

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> This is most often considered to be an example of traces of
> case-endings.
> Gesenius deals with this in p. 170ff.  See here:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=genpub&c>c=genpub&
idno=ahy1993.1853.001&frm=frameset&view=image&seq=175

> and specifically here:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=genpub;cc=genpub;i
dno=ahy1993.1853.001;frm=frameset;view=image;seq=177;page=root;size=s

> On 10/29/07, Charles Grebe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a quick question about the phrase WXYTWo-)RC in Genesis 1:24.

> > I'm not sure what to do with the holem waw. It appears to be a
> > pronominal suffix on the noun "chaya" which is part of a construct
> > chain with "eretz." Can you have a pronominal suffix in the middle
of
> > a contruct chain like this? If so, or if not for that matter, how
> > would you translate this?

Invite the next generation of students to consider Briercrest College and Seminary. Visit www.briercrest.ca/refer.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive the information from the recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.