[b-hebrew] Isaiah 30:14 description of a metal smith?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:44:48 EDT 2007

Dear Havurim:

GB), what does it mean? Is this a salt marsh or river delta as
indicated by Ezekiel 47:11?

An addendum to the note previously posted:

While I have done some ornamental work with black smithing using
commercially available soft steel, I had not done tempering and
hardening as is used to make tools and weapons, as in ancient times.
So I checked http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/preservation/smithy/chpt7.htm
and sure enough, salt water was used in the tempering of steel.

Instead of being a difficult to understand verse, it looks as if
Isaiah 30:14 could be translated as:

And its breaking apart is as the breaking of a leather bag (used as
part of a bellows) used in the making of forged objects, he (God) will
not have pity, and there will not be found in the blacksmith's shop a
worker to bank a lit fire (to keep it burning hotly) and to draw water
from a salt marsh.

Pretty straight forward. Well, it does require that a few points be
changed, but what's new in that?

Any comments? Criticisms? Alternate readings?

Karl W. Randolph.