[b-hebrew] Academic Debate"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 30 02:22:02 EDT 2007

Dear Bryant,

I actually agree with most of what you wrote below, but without the implied
personal criticism. I agree that both people who study the Bible as a source
of religious inspiration and those who study the Bible out of a detatched
academic curiosity, and everyone in between (probably most) deserve to be
called "scholars", and in no way intended to imply that those who do not
accept my position are not scholars. So let me re-state: by "faith" I mean
acceptance of the basic Judeo-Christian doctrine that Scripture (however one
defines the word) is "the word of God" and thus must be "correct" (and yes,
I am perfectly aware that there are many different definitions of both "word
of God" and "correct"). God delivered His word through the sayings and
writing of prophets and these are recorded in the Bible. And so the Bible is
to be believed. This of course still leaves a wide range of possibilities
for interpretation, but the basic doctrine is still there.

Modern Critical Academic study of the Bible, as practiced in the world of
"academic scholarship" in major universities wroldwide and whatever the
personal "faith" of the scholar, does not accept this premise. The Bible is
an ancient text which should be subjected to the same critical analysis as
any other ancient text, and questions of dating, authorship, sources and
authority are at the core of that analysis. Since modern critical science
(of any kind) cannot take the supernatural into account, it must resort to
the logic and experience that we mere humans have with the natural world
around us. Since none of us have yet recieved direct prophecy from God, we
cannot "take on faith" that the authors of the Bible did either. Which leads
us to question: who wrote the books, why did they write them, when were they
written and what were their sources? The answers often leave the historical
reliability of the various book very much in doubt.

Yigal Levin