[b-hebrew] Two X letters

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:46:23 EDT 2007

Isaac:

On 10/29/07, Isaac Fried <if at math.bu.edu> wrote:
> Karl,
>
> I think I start to understand you now. You are wishing for a witness
> or an attestor to "accurately indicate what Hebrew was like before
> Hebrew was written down". What about circumstantial evidence, will
> this not do?
>
> Isaac Fried, Boston University

Or more accurately, a written record, yes.

Cognate languages already make up one sort of circumstantial evidence,
and it is one that I treat as secondary at best. As far as I
understand your position, you reject it. Without a written record, we
don't know if the cognate languages split, or did Hebrew combine? Many
modern scholars teach that Hebrew combined phonemes. As I understand
you, you teach that Hebrew split, and the other languages split more.

So the answer is, circumstantial evidence is not enough, therefore No,
it will not do.

Karl W. Randolph.