[b-hebrew] Two X letters

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Oct 29 21:03:38 EDT 2007

OK, here am I, not a scholar, just a person who grew up in a Torah
observant home (in Queen, NYC) where both my parents and both sets of
grandparents spoke Yiddish and (almost) Hebrew fluently, and me
learning Hebrew since kindergarten, telling you that I always was
under the impression that the relationship between Yiddish and Hebrew
was that Yiddish was the vernacular adaptation in Poland, Russia,
etc., to their main Love, (you know, it was the language of our
liturgy and Torah) Hebrew - that Yiddish was a "Germanized" Hebrew,
not vice versa.

Shoshanna