[b-hebrew] P.S. Re: 6-Month "Year"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Oct 29 02:22:43 EDT 2007

Shoshanna, we've been through this before. You are correct. The main
difference between a faith-based approach to the biblical text and an
academic/scientific approach is that the former consider the Torah to be
Divinely given/inspired (etc.), which in the traditional Jewish (read:
Orthodox) interpretation means accepting the Divine authority of Hazal (and
in the conservative Christian tradition means accepting a christological
interpretation as taught by the Church). Of course this still leaves a lot
open for discussion, just that the bounds are well defined. The
academic/scientific approach does not accept any authority just on faith,
and considers everything open to questioning - including whether any sort of
deity is behind the composition of the Bible in the first place. You know
that, we know that, and there is no use in repetedly re-hashing it.

(I know, I presented both approaches very simplisticly; anyone want to argue
abou it?)

This list, while not specifically endorsing the second approach, certainly
does not endorse the first. Since this list is open to all people of
different faiths (or none) and traditions, all are welcome to state their
opinions. However, none have the right to insist that their particular
interpretation is the ONLY legitimate one.

Yigal Levin