[b-hebrew] 6-Month "Year"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Oct 29 02:08:51 EDT 2007

"The Torah speaks in human language". And just like in any language, some
words have several different meanings dependent on context, and the native
speaker or reader is expected to recognize the different meanings from
context, so might the Torah use the same word when meaning two different
things. I've already given the example of "yom", "day". "'Et", "time" or
"season" could mean a specific season with specific dates, or a general
"time of year". For that matter, it could also mean just "time". The native
speaker would easily recognize the difference. Since we are NOT native
speakers of BIBLICAL Hebrew, we might not always recognize them. I'm not
saying that I agree with Jim's theory in this case (I don't!), just that his
way of thinking is not illigitimate. Quite the contrary - he came up with
his theory BECAUSE he insists on a literal reading of the Torah.

Yigal Levin