[b-hebrew] Samson and the Judges

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Oct 29 00:03:20 EDT 2007

No, I was the one who said "elders and judges" to simplify matters.

The period of Torah transmission immediately after Joshua was that of
the Zekenim, who were the elders of the Great Sanhedrin of each
successive generation.  It has nothing to do with prophecy.  This is
in the very beginning of Pirkei Avos.  "The first mishna in Avos
applies this term to the Torah luminaries who assumed spiritual
leadership of Israel DURING THE ERA of the Shoftim - the judges who
succeeded Joshua.  Many of the shoftim also stood at the head of the
Sanhedrin of their generation."  According to Rashi's comment on
Avos, which I quoted earlier, the Shoftim themselves were the
Zekeinim.  This is the position of Rashi, Rambam, Meiri.  Others did
regard the periods of the Zekeinim and the Shoftim as two separate
periods, rather than one.  (Vilna Gaon, for instance)

Contrary to what you claim, it IS known, and recognized, and
acknowledged, and accounted for, that many of the judges' rules
overlap one another.

My source is Rabbi Zechariah Fendel "Legacy of Sinai".  He draws
from, and cites all the sources: the Tanach, Talmud, all the
Commentaries, Rambam, Rashi, Gra, Vilna Gaon, etc, and the historical
Tannaitic Midrash, Seder Olam Rabbah, written by the Tanna, Rabbi
Yose ben Chalafta, to be differentiated from the much later
historical source, Seder Olam Zuta.  He discusses all of the
differences of opinion, explaining their sources and reasoning in
great detail.

All the dates are listed in detail.

The basis of all of this information is not the personal ambitions of
the rabbis, but the Tanach, which is an accurate source.

Shoshanna Walker

2. Note the process at work here. The Tana'im, in the Mishnah Avot,
"skipped" the "judges" altogether in their list of those through whom the
Torah had been handed down, going from the elders to the prophets. The later
Amora'im could not "overlook" this link, so they made it "elders and
judges". Interesting. In any case, the Rabbis' reconstruction of history,
while having its didactic purposes, is based on their preconceptions of what
prophecy is and on their need to "prove" that their Halakhic authority was
genuine. It is not a basis for modern historical reconstruction, since they
did not recognize that the numbers given for the judges' "rule" are often
either symbolic or rounded-off, and that some of the judges may have ruled
concurrently. The archaeological record allows no more than 150-200 years
for the entire period between the "conquest" and David, certainly not 400
years for the judges from Othniel to Eli.

3. What is your immediate source for the dates and lists that you quoted
below?

Yigal Levin