[b-hebrew] Samson and the Judges

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Oct 28 22:45:47 EDT 2007

Hello Shoshanna,

1. Please remember to sign your posts and to cut the parts of other peoples'
posts that are not relevant to what you are writing about.

2. Note the process at work here. The Tana'im, in the Mishnah Avot,
"skipped" the "judges" altogether in their list of those through whom the
Torah had been handed down, going from the elders to the prophets. The later
Amora'im could not "overlook" this link, so they made it "elders and
judges". Interesting. In any case, the Rabbis' reconstruction of history,
while having its didactic purposes, is based on their preconceptions of what
prophecy is and on their need to "prove" that their Halakhic authority was
genuine. It is not a basis for modern historical reconstruction, since they
did not recognize that the numbers given for the judges' "rule" are often
either symbolic or rounded-off, and that some of the judges may have ruled
concurrently. The archaeological record allows no more than 150-200 years
for the entire period between the "conquest" and David, certainly not 400
years for the judges from Othniel to Eli.

3. What is your immediate source for the dates and lists that you quoted
below?

Yigal Levin