[b-hebrew] Deportation of Judea and Samaria

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 27 16:47:05 EDT 2007

Yitzhak,

While I agree with most of what you have written in this thread, Lipschits
seems to be minimizing the archaeological evidence. According to Avraham
Faust (in several articles), based mostly on survey data, the population
decline in Judah as a whole seems to have been much more severe, up to
60-70%.
This is, of course, part of an on-going debate in recent years, about how
much of a "real" historical event the exile was, with a "minimalist" school
it was mostly the urban elite that was deported and that biblical claims of
an "empty land" were mostly fabricated in order to justify the "returnees"
claim to that land, while a "maximalist" school claiming that the biblical
accounts, while obviously ideologically motivated, do supply reliable
information. The archaeological record, for the moment, has been used and
interpreted by different scholars in different ways.

Yigal Levin