[b-hebrew] Hebrew as a Spoken Language vs. Aramaic

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Oct 27 14:35:35 EDT 2007

On 27 Oct 2007 at 18:35, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> On 10/26/07, Dave Washburn wrote:
> >

> > On 26 Oct 2007 at 6:12, Yishmor wrote:
> >
> > > A few (I don't mention Shim`own Bar Kokba', for example) and abbreviated
> > > list of examples that support Hebrew being the common spoken tongue in
> > > the first century.
> > >
> > > *=== Via the Rabbinic Talmudiym*
> >
> > Okay, let me try again.  I have said all along that Hebrew at this time was
> > a RELIGIOUS tongue, used by the religious leaders and used for religious rites.
> > How does a religious compendium like the Talmud disprove that?
>
> If you are going to go this route, I am going to ask that you not make any
> conclusions from the Bible (such as that the Jews were entirely displaced)
> because the Bible is too a religious document.

So what?  That doesn't make it a priori an unreliable source.  We obviously disagree on this
crucial point, so perhaps we're at a stopping point right there.  It's the one and only source
we have that purports to be from roughly the time period in question, that has any real
detail.  Writing it off because it's a religious document leaves us with essentially nothing.
Yes, I read the thread on the topic, but wasn't impressed.  At the very least, it's several
centuries earlier than the later rabbinic "evidence," so it must at least be considered and not
just written off with a single stroke of the pen because of its genre.

Dave Washburn
Why do it right when you can do it again?