[b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 10:38:05 EDT 2007

 Karl,

    You made the following point:

  "As far as modern researchers, who is more trustworthy: those who were
there at that time, or those who try to reconstruct events later?"

  Without dismissing the unquestionable importance of ancient resources,
  including the HB, modern researchers have many more tools at their
  disposal for reconstructing various periods of the past.

     Your other point is well taken. However, when mentioning the verse in
  II Kings,  I  wanted to demonstrate that ancient memories were clear
  about the fact that the Neo-Babylonians did not exile everybody.
  As for what happenned during that period of occupation, I prefer
  the results of modern research; I did mention an important resource
  previously.

     To return to what started this exchange  -- when Hebrew stopped
  being spoken-- I repeat my reference to Mishnaic Hebrew. This  later
  stage of the language, whose written marks can already be found in
  Qohelet and elsewhere, cannot have been only an artifically invention.

    Those interested in the development of spoken Hebrew would
  do well to familiarize themselves with Mishnaic Hebrew.

   Uri   Hurwitz                                                           Great Neck, NY