[b-hebrew] Pronunciation of Hebrew names

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 26 05:02:28 EDT 2007

Dear Sergio,

Please note that the Hebrew Bible/OT Shim'on is spelled "Simeon" in English,
following the Greek. This means that when the Hebrew was translated into
Greek, the 'Ayin was still pronounced, and the Greek used the "e" to
indicate this. By the late Second Temple period, many people (especially
Galileans) has stopped pronouncing the 'Ayin, and the pronounciation
"Shimon" was transcribed "Simon" in Greek.

The proper name of "Galilee" in Hebrew is "Galil". "Gelil" of Isa 9:1 is in
the construct ("Galilee of the Nations" - although that's a mistranslation).
"Gelilah" looks superficially like a locatve "to Galilee", but the "-ah" is
often added to place names.

As far as "John", yes, the Hebrew is "Yehohanan" or "Yohanan". The
difference between those two forms is that the first abbreviates the Divine
Name as "Yeho", the second as "Yo". In the pre-exilic period, the first was
more common in Judah, the second in Israel, although the Bible is not
consistant (The same is true for "Yehoram/Yoram, Yehonatan/Yonatan etc.).
The "Israelean" form may have persisted in Galilee in the Second Temple
period. I'm not sure how and when that was shortened to "Yohn" ("John"),
without the final "-an". Maybe someonce else can elaborate.

Yigal Levin