[b-hebrew] 6-Month "Year"

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Oct 25 22:45:37 EDT 2007

Jim, were you aware that the Torah was analyzed by a computer study,
which found that it was all written by the same "author"?  I'm sure I
could find details of the study, if you are sincerely interested.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna:
You raise an interesting issue.  You see the entire Torah as being very old.
Many secular scholars see the entire  Torah as having been composed very
late.
My own view differs dramatically from each of those views.  I myself see the
Patriarchal narratives  as being much older than the rest of the Bible.  In
particular, I see the Patriarchal  narratives as having been composed many
centuries before the composition of what  is now Genesis 1: 1 ’Äì 11: 25.
So I myself look at the Patriarchal narratives largely independently from
the rest of the Bible.  I see the  Patriarchal narratives as coming
straight out
of the mid-14th century  BCE, whereas most of the rest of the Bible is 700 or
more years later than  that.
One consequence of my view is that I do not rely much on the first 10
chapters of Genesis in analyzing the last 40 chapters of Genesis.
I am not trying to change your point of view.  I am just explaining why the
question of  whether the author of the Patriarchal narratives used a
6-month ’Äú
year’Äù may be an  independent issue that has little or nothing to do with how
the first 10  chapters of Genesis view such questions.
In fact, I have found that my attempts to assert the very old nature of  the
Patriarchal narratives are generally rejected out of hand by secular
scholars, on a false basis.  They  point to aspects of the first 10 chapters of
Genesis that they view as being  late and mythological.  In my
opinion, that has
nothing to do, one way or the other, with how old and  historically
accurate the
Patriarchal narratives may be.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois