[b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 11:48:26 EDT 2007

  Karl,

    Not all can agree to your statement:

  "The last generation that we can all agree on that learned Biblical
Hebrew at their mothers' knees was the first generation born during
the Exile"....

Karl W. Randolph."

    Keep in mind just two facts: not all the  Northern and Judean
   populations were exiled; secondly, the Hebrew the residents spoke
  underwent marked changes - under various influences - and became
  the "Mishnaic" language. The latter simply could not have been
  an artifical invention by scholars, devised only to be written.

    True, in the second Temple period and later both Aramaic and
  Greek became more and more spoken, but Hebrew was still in use.,
  (Cf. the Bar Kokhba letters), though it became rarer.

    In fact, the houshold of Yehuda the Prince, the redactor of the
  Mishnah, c 200 CE was praised in that "even the maid" spoke
   Hebrew.

    Uri

    BTW my remarks above are general. I didn't mean to discuss
  the date of Daniel.