[b-hebrew] paleo Hebrew / modern Hebrew

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:35:51 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Jean Amodea wrote:

> I am working on a project translating (for lack of a better word) the modern
> Hebrew biblical text of Genesis into paleo Hebrew (minus the extra final
> letters)  then assigning a musical note to each paleo letter.I create a lead
> sheet from the Genesis verses.

It was suggested to me in private that the "minus the extra final
letters" meant
the final forms of the letters mncpk, and this makes more sense than my
original understanding of final letters as final matres lectionis.  However, I
am unsure what using an Old Hebrew script would do to achieve an "aural
representation" of the Biblical text.  Nevertheless, taking the text as is,
and simply replacing the script is a simple matter, although it should
be clear that this still does not get you a pre-exilic text.

Yitzhak Sapir