[b-hebrew] collecting myrrh and honey

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:12:51 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Yaakov Stein wrote:

> > And why not? Samson was more than just a simple farmer, he ended up
> > judging Israel for 20 years. That indicates superior intelligence.
>
> Please note that the word "to judge" as used in the book of Judges means
> something like "to rule", without any implication of legal or
> philosophical
> knowledge.

In ancient society, there was a governmental system of checks and
balances.
The Executive, which enforced laws, was represented by the king.
The Legislative, which enacted laws, was represented by the king.
The Judicial, which interpreted laws and disputes, was represented by the king.

Judicial duties and arbitration of disputes are part of the duties of the king.
This is also borne out by 1 Sam 8:20 as well as specific examples, for
example, of Solomon settling disputes.  One wonders, in fact, what duties
of the king the "judges" of Judges do not fulfill.  They judge, they go to
war, there is even an apparent right of succession.

As far as your continued posting on your theory, I posted the following,
suggesting that your idea is not very original and is in fact a well accepted
suggestion as to how to interpret the passage.  Kivanta ledaat Hakhamim.
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2007-October/033847.html

Yitzhak Sapir