[b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 01:44:24 EDT 2007

Isaac:

On 10/23/07, Isaac Fried <if at math.bu.edu> wrote:
> Yigal,
>
> Here is something else worth thinking about. How are we to understand
> the meaning of the root SRK [with sin] of Jeremiah 2:23 in
> relationship to its derivative SROK, 'thong, strap, lace', if not via
> SRX of Exodus 26:12-13 and Amos 6:4?
>
> Isaac Fried, Boston University

%RK has the idea of running to and fro, which is what a shoestring
does over the top of a foot, hence %RWK.

SRX (two letters different) has the idea of overhanging, such as
draping over the edge (of a bed) or of the excess cloth overhanging
the backside of the tent.

So how does the latter help with understanding the former?

Karl W. Randolph.