[b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Oct 23 19:22:30 EDT 2007

The BGDKFRT variations are not later developments, they are already
mentioned as the 7 (yes, reish is included) double letters in the
Sefer Yetzira which is ancient ancient ancient.

Shoshanna

    Let us keep in mind that the original pronounciation

  of Kaf was indeed  K, a totally separate Semitic letter

  from the H(.)et.

   The BGDKFT variations are later developments, possibly

in or after the Persian period, but the timing is not

certain.

   In the the modern Israeli pronounciation both letters

  sound alike, but this has nothing to do with the original

  sound of these different letters. Oriental Jews who don't

  emulate the Ashkenazi misprounciation clearly keep the

difference. So of course does the Arabic.

  Now, the the pre-historical development of human

languages in general, and Semitics in particular, I leave

to those who enjoy speculation.

Uri Hurwitz

  to warrant  the   > consideration of X and K as "interchangeable"?
>      Worth thinking about. The similarity in what we think of as
the meaning my   be a secondary development. Thanks for bringing it
to my attention. Ideas,   anyone?    Yigal Levin