[b-hebrew] "Salt" Statue: Lot's Wife

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Oct 23 18:33:45 EDT 2007

The examples you give are of similar letters interchangeable BETWEEN
languages, not interchangeable IN Hebrew.

Shoshanna

What I mean by "interchangable" is that we find the a very similar
word with the same or a very similar meaning either in Hebrew itself
or at least in cognate languages. In many cases this can be
understood as an indication that the letters used in both were
pronounced the same, in others it has to do with the sound that was
used in the "original" (usually reconstructed) form, which was
expressed with different letters in different but related languages.
Hebrew (&R (Ayin-Sin-Resh) and Aramaic and Arabic Ayin-Samekh-Resh
both mean "ten". This is because Samekh and Sin are "interchangable"
when transferring between the languages. The same is true of Hebrew
Zayin in "Zahav" and Aramaic "Dh" in "Dahab" and so on. I know of no
case in which Xet becomes Khaph (which is just a "soft" Kaph anyway).

I know that this contradicts your own personal theory, but so does
all the rest of what most linguists think.

Yigal Levin