[b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"

Tory Thorpe torythrp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 18:08:11 EDT 2007

Jim:

It does not appear that you understood what was said. Where are you
getting "TWO measure" from? It does not matter when the Gezer
Calendar starts. It does not matter when the Qumran community started
their 364-day solar calendar. It does not matter when the Torah
starts its calendar. All of these calendars measure "years" in 12
month increments, not 6. In any 12-month calendar a New Year that
begins in the fall will not end until the next fall, and a New Year
that begins in spring will not end until the next spring. The Jewish
calendar has several New Year dates. None of these "years" are
shorter than 12 months. If you want to consider the 9th month in the
Gezer Calendar the start of a New Year that "year" does not end until
month 8 twelve months later. There is no evidence within GC that it's
"year" is 6-months.

Tory Thorpe