[b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 17:26:56 EDT 2007

Tory:
Thank you for that important  clarification.
1.  You wrote:  "Even if we were  to take /kl/ in line 5 in the sense of "to
complete,"
as Lemaire does  by assuming a base /klh/…."
That reading is even better for my point of  view than Albright's reading of
"feasting".  Both readings fit my theory perfectly  that one 6-month "year"
would end at the beginning of May, as the first 6-month  "year" was "complete".
That would  be the occasion for "feasting" in honor of the new New Year,
which begins in  early May and ends in September or so.
So "complete" or "to terminate" or "to end"  or "feasting" or "festival" are
all wonderful translations for  me.
It's the 1909 translation of "two measure"  that causes me some concern.
2.  You continued:  "…you still  would have no
support for a 6-month year in the 10th century  BCE."
We've got the Gezer Calendar starting the  New Year in the fall.  We have the
 Qumran Calendar, that S. Talmon views as relating truly ancient knowledge,
starting the New Year in the spring.  And we have the Hebrew calendar, which
though heavily influenced later by  the Babylonians regarding the names of the
months and some other issues,  nevertheless has some truly ancient roots in
Canaan.  The Hebrew calendar starts the New Year  in the fall, with the first
day of the New Year, and 6 months later the Hebrew  calendar starts the New Year
in the spring, with the first month of the New  Year.
All of that is redolent of a 6-month "year"  concept in my book.  The New
Year  starts in the spring, and/or in the fall, in  Canaan.
3.  You wrote:  "Albright may  have
rejected a 1909 proposal from Ronzevalle, but new data coming  to
light since Albright's time suggests Ronzevalle was right all  along
and line 5 should be read /kl/ from a base /kyl/ ("measuring"),  a
reduction of the diphthong /ay/ to /e/ (see Gibson, Textbook  of
Syrian Semitic Inscriptions I [Oxford, 1973], p. 2). The "month  of
harvest and measuring" (yrh qsr  wkl)…."
If the 1909 translation is correct, then a  lot would depend on how one
interprets "two measure" or "harvest and  measuring".  Is the word "measuring"
there referring solely to counting how much barley and wheat had been  harvested?
Or does "measure" have a calendar meaning  there, meaning that the "measure"
of one 6-month "year" has now been taken and  completed, and it's time to
begin "measuring" another 6-month "year"?
What would 'two measure' mean?  Would it mean that the first 6-month  "year"
has now been measured, and now it's time to start measuring a second  6-month
"year" in this 12-month period:  a "two measure"?  Or is "two  measure"
limited to having a specific agricultural meaning of some  sort?
4.  You continued:  "…or  Albright's "harvest and
feasting" (he restored a gimmel to /wgl/ and  rejected kaph /wkl/), is
the 9th month enumerated in the  GC."
Of course, a translation of "harvest and  feasting" would be great for my
theory of the 6-month "year".  One New Year starts in the fall, at the  beginning
of the Gezer Calendar, and another New Year starts in the late spring,  at
the time of "harvest and feasting", with "feasting" meaning a New Year  festival
and each such "year"/New Year being a 6-month  "year".
5.  You wrote:  "Regardless of  the precise season
month 9 corresponds to in Israel the GC is a  calendar which measures
time using more than 6 months. For your theory  you need to bring
forward evidence of a calendar with 6 and only 6  months in it. That
just can't be done with the  GC."
But that is not my theory of the case at  all.  The calendars of ancient Ur
had 12 different month names.  But  they celebrated a multi-day New Year/Akitu
festival every 6 months.  That's a 6-month "year"  concept.
The Gezer Calendar probably is describing  the agricultural activities
throughout the course of the year.  I agree with S. Talmon's suggestion that  the
Gezer Calendar probably does not list any formal names of any months.  Rather,
the Gezer Calendar chronicles 8  agricultural seasons.
Nobody would have a calendar of six 30-day  months, and then start another
year with six more months having the very same  names.  That would make no sense
at  all, since the winter is very different from the summer in Canaan.  So
the names of the winter months will  not be the same as the names of the summer
months.  But the question is whether the winter  months are in one 6-month
"year", and the summer months are in a different  6-month "year".
I do not see the number of the names of  months as being a key factor at all,
one way or the  other.
No, what counts is whether a New Year is  celebrated both in the fall and in
the spring.  From the Gezer Calendar a New Year must  have been celebrated in
the fall, because the Gezer Calendar starts in the  fall.  The question then
becomes  whether there was a "festival" or a "feasting" or a "termination" or
an "end" or  "to be complete" that occurred in early May.  If so, that sure
sounds like a 6-month  "year" concept to me.  But if what  happened in May was a
'two measure", per that old 1909 translation, then it  would all depend on
what "two measure" means.  If "two measure" means to take the  measure of two
6-month "years", the one that is ending and the one that is just  beginning, that
of course would be great.  The only bad translation I can see for my view is
if "two measure" has  some very specific agricultural meaning, such as
measuring both barley and  wheat, or measuring barley or wheat in accordance with two
different measures,  etc.  Otherwise, all the other  translations I have seen
fit my view nicely.
6.  You cannot realize how greatly I appreciate the fact that you have raised
 these issues concerning the Gezer Calendar.  All such issues are very
important in  trying to decide if the author of the Patriarchal narratives could
possibly have  had a 6-month "year" concept in mind in setting forth all the ages
of everyone  in the text.  If so, then every such  age makes perfect sense,
as is, with not a single age being  miraculous.
7.  I myself see nothing in the Patriarchal narratives as being  nonsensical.
 In particular, no age  of any person in the text is nonsensically too old to
be believed.
Moreover, many people knew the "secret" of  how the ages of people were being
expressed in the Patriarchal narratives, in  ancient times and through the
Middle Ages.  It is only modern analysts who have lost the knowledge of how each
 person's age is set forth in the Patriarchal  narratives.
The Gezer Calendar is one good clue to help  us on our way to understanding
the ages of all persons in the Patriarchal  narratives.
Thanks so much for raising these issues  concerning the Gezer Calendar.  I
myself have found the Talmon article to be particularly helpful in
understanding  the Gezer Calendar.
Jim  Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois