[b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"

Tory Thorpe torythrp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 16:24:42 EDT 2007

Jim:

Even if we were to take /kl/ in line 5 in the sense of "to complete,"
as Lemaire does by assuming a base /klh/, you still would have no
support for a 6-month year in the 10th century BCE. Albright may have
rejected a 1909 proposal from Ronzevalle, but new data coming to
light since Albright's time suggests Ronzevalle was right all along
and line 5 should be read /kl/ from a base /kyl/ ("measuring"), a
reduction of the diphthong /ay/ to /e/ (see Gibson, Textbook of
Syrian Semitic Inscriptions I [Oxford, 1973], p. 2). The "month of
harvest and measuring" (yrh qsr wkl), or Albright's "harvest and
feasting" (he restored a gimmel to /wgl/ and rejected kaph /wkl/), is
the 9th month enumerated in the GC. Regardless of the precise season
month 9 corresponds to in Israel the GC is a calendar which measures
time using more than 6 months. For your theory you need to bring
forward evidence of a calendar with 6 and only 6 months in it. That
just can't be done with the GC.

Tory Thorpe