[b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"

Tory Thorpe torythrp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 13:04:34 EDT 2007

Jim

There is still a debate about where exactly to begin the first months
of the Gezer Calendar (GC), i.e. the "two months of ingathering (yrhw
'sp)," relative to the seasonal year in Israel, either late summer or
early fall. For late summer ( = Aug./Sep.), see C Körting, Der Schall
Des Schofar (Berlin, 1999), p. 69. For the fall ( = Sep./Oct.), see
among others A. Lemaire, “Zāmīr dans la tablette de Gézer et le
Cantique des Cantiques,” VT 25 (1975), pp. 15-26. There is also no
certainty that the biblical first month of the year, i.e. hodesh ha-
abib, should begin in the spring ( =  Mar./Apr.) and not late winter
( = Feb./Mar.). But as to your theory, the GC is a schematic calendar
of 12 months (might be solar) and there is no mention of a New Year
celebration. The line in the GC where you see "feasting," which is
Albright's old reading of line 5, should be rendered "month of
harvesting and measuring" (cf. Renz, Die althebräischen Inschriften,
30-37; and Talmon, JAOS 83 [1963], p. 183, and note 48). M. Cohen's
book uses the older/outdated translation of the GC proposed by Albright.

Tory