[b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 10:31:50 EDT 2007

   Let us keep in mind that the original pronounciation

 of Kaf was indeed  K, a totally separate Semitic letter

 from the H(.)et.

  The BGDKFT variations are later developments, possibly

in or after the Persian period, but the timing is not

certain.

  In the the modern Israeli pronounciation both letters

 sound alike, but this has nothing to do with the original

 sound of these different letters. Oriental Jews who don't

 emulate the Ashkenazi misprounciation clearly keep the

difference. So of course does the Arabic.

 Now, the the pre-historical development of human

languages in general, and Semitics in particular, I leave

to those who enjoy speculation.

Uri Hurwitz

 to warrant  the   > consideration of X and K as "interchangeable"?    >      Worth thinking about. The similarity in what we think of as the meaning my   be a secondary development. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Ideas,   anyone?    Yigal Levin