[b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:29:09 EDT 2007

Yigal:

The actions are different.

On 10/22/07, Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
> > Yigal,
> >
> > How about $LX, 'send away' and $LK, 'fling away', are they not  "similar
> > words with the same or a very similar meaning" to warrant  the
> > consideration of X and K as "interchangeable"?
> >
> > Isaac Fried, Boston University
> >
> Worth thinking about. The similarity in what we think of as the meaning my
> be a secondary development. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Ideas,
> anyone?
>
> Yigal Levin

In the case of $LX, the action is sending away, out of the immediate
presence. While the objects sent away are quite dissimilar, the basic
action, namely that of sending away, applies to all.

$LK has more the idea of depositing, setting down to a specific place,
an action that is sometimes accomplished by throwing, other times by
gently laying down.

The two actions are very different, I see no reason to consider that
this could be an example where the X and K were interchangeable in
Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.